Wednesday 27 June 2012

News in Brief


Cottage Survival Guide


A first trip to the sticks beckons this weekend for that most Torontonian of traditions: the long weekend at the cottage. What it boils down to, as far as I can gather, is leaving work on Friday afternoon and sitting in gridlock that stretches all the way to the forests as thousands of townies escape to the country for three days of binge drinking. For non-cottagers (who seem to be in the minority), a peaceful, ghost-like weekend awaits, as well as the firework spectaculars of the Canada Day celebrations most other folk will be too hungover/stuck in traffic/both to enjoy.

Being the practical-minded type, I have prepared for our trip by asking the important questions:
A) What do you do if you encounter a bear?
2) What do you do if you encounter a zombie?
D) How much beer should we take?
Regarding bears, Tony immediately supplied me with the definitive answer: “You play dead… No, you make noise and wave your arms... One of those, anyway.”

Regarding zombies, I already have a fair idea of the recommended course of action: befriend a fundamentalist veterinarian called Herschel, clart around on his ranch until the danger subsides, but don’t go near the barn. And if you do happen to be bitten by the undead, opt for shooting yourself rather than hanging…



Regarding beer, the answer is obvious: as many bottles and cans as you think you’ll need to fend off an angry bear and/or outlast a zombie siege. Plus some bourbon.

Magic Roundabouts


Stop signs irk me. In a land where the SUV reigns supreme and adverts for new cars boast about “31 mpg highway!”, we all have to come to frequent standstills even when the roads are deserted, wasting petrol, brake pads and time. How I miss roundabouts; those symmetrical paragons of vehicular common sense.

That said, there is a roundabout (or “turn circle”) in our neighbourhood, and seeing drivers grapple with the concept can be quite the sight. My personal favourite is the Tony special: indicate right because you’re bearing slightly right as you enter; signal left because you’re turning anticlockwise; signal right again when you turn off… and an extra signal in each direction for good luck. Considering Tony generally only drives when I’m sozzled, it’s tremendous fun; like a low-budget, low-octane fairground ride.

Cue traffic planners seeking the best/worst of both worlds, and their Frankenstein's monster of solutions: the roundabout that is also a four-way stop. Amazing.


The intersection with a split-personality

Textual Relations


For the past couple of months I’ve owned a smartphone. Total call time: 13 minutes. Total texts sent: 1. Time spent playing Blade Master: 59 hours.

Imagine my delight, then, to have two missed calls and a text message on Tuesday afternoon (I was in a high-level power-meeting, complete with shoulder pads, hairspray and terms like “touching base”, “moving forward” and “pre-preparing irregardless of EOD”). It was from my good friend Bryan, who I’ve never met.


Yo nico it’s Bryan don’t tell Julie what we talked about yesterday she on my ass so keep it on the dl

Needless to say, if Julie is on Bryan’s ass, he can rely on me, nico, to keep it well and truly on the DL. That’s what I hate about Julie: she’s always bending Bryan’s ear, and I, as his best friend, nico, have to keep it totally locked down for my dawg. Whatever me and Bry talk about, that’s bro business, bro. Julie needs to step off and, furthermore, check herself before she Ben Afflecks herself. I did what I could: I replied to my homie to reassure him… sort of.

Bryan, that shit is hard to keep a lid on… but I’ll do my best